What to do to prepare for High Winds

  • To prepare for a possible power outage, make sure cell phone batteries are charged, gather supplies, and turn refrigerators and freezers to a colder setting

  • If you are a property owner, builder, contractor, and/or crane operator, secure your construction sites, buildings, and equipment

  • Bring inside loose, lightweight objects such as lawn furniture, potted plants, garbage cans, garden tools, and toys

  • Anchor objects that would be unsafe outside, such as gas grills or propane tanks

  • Close up and secure patio umbrellas

  • Secure retractable awnings

What to do to prepare for Flash Flooding 

  •  Be alert to changing weather conditions and be ready to move to higher ground

  •  Consider postponing outdoor activities

  • Tie down or bring in outdoor objects (patio furniture, children's toys, trash cans, etc.) that could be swept away or damaged during flooding

  • Consider unplugging sensitive electronic equipment before flooding occurs. But, do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water

  • Elevate items stored in your basement to prevent damage. If you have a sump pump, check that it is working

  • Consider clearing street catch basins to prevent or reduce street flooding

  • Avoid camping or parking along streams, rivers, creeks, or other areas prone to flooding during heavy rainfall as these areas can flood rapidly and with little warning

Helpful Phone Numbers

Con Edison

  • If you experience a power outage, please notify Con Edison at 1-800-752-6633, please only call 911 for real emergencies, not power outages 

  • You can report an outage to Con Edison's here

  • Click here to view the ConEd Outage Map

  • Consider signing up for the ConEd Life Supporting Equipment Registry if you or a loved one rely on medical equipment

  • National Grid’s 24-hour hotline is 718-643-4050 or for TTY 718-237-2857

  • The Westchester ConEd On Duty Emergency Staff phone number is 914-925-6301 and email is dl-WestchesterRCA@coned.com 


  • Verizon: MyFios App / 800-verizon / www.verizon.com

  • Never move or touch downed lines, they may be power lines. Contact Verizon at 1-800-837-4966 to report a downed or low hanging Verizon line.  To report a downed line online use the Verizon Troubleshooter

  • Use the Verizon Troubleshooter to report any damage to your Verizon equipment, schedule service for your Verizon line at your home, or request assistance to move or remove Verizon equipment


  • You can call Optimum at 866-950-3278

  • Click here to view the Optimum Outage Map

  • For information on Service Restoration and reporting an outage, click here

  • For Bronx and Westchester assistance, call 718-860-3514. 

Village of Hastings-on-Hudson 

 Village of Pelham Manor

  • Pelham Manor Police Desk at 914-738-1000 or 911 from a landline phone.

  • Overnight parking restrictions are waived for all residents living in the areas north of Lincoln Avenue. For those living in flood-prone areas along Highbrook Avenue, please contact the Village of Pelham Police Department at 914-738-2000 if you'd like to make other parking arrangements.

New York City

  • NYC Emergency Management strongly encourages all New Yorkers to take proactive steps to ensure their own safety and support the city’s resilience: For more safety tips, visit NYC.gov/SevereWeather

  • New Yorkers are encouraged to sign up for Notify NYC, the city’s free emergency notification system, to stay informed about the latest weather updates and other emergencies. Notify NYC is available in 14 languages, including American Sign Language. To learn more about the Notify NYC program or to sign up, New Yorkers can visit the Notify NYC website, call 311, or download the free Notify NYC app for your Android or Apple device. 

Village of Port Chester 

  • The Port Chester Department of Public Works, Police and Fire Departments will remain on duty to respond to emergencies and barricade potentially flooded streets from traffic and offer assistance.

  • Department of Public Works: 914-939-5207

  • Village of Port Chester Police Department: 914-939-1000

  • Village of Port Chester Fire Department: 914-939-4700

City of Rye

  • The Rye Emergency Personnel and the Department of Public Works are prepared to assist residents as needed.

  • Department of Public Works: 914-967-7467 or publicworks@ryeny.gov 

  • Rye Police Department: 914-967-1234

  • Rye Fire Department: 914-967-4731 or 911

Village of Mamaroneck 

  • The Village of Mamaroneck has listed their recommendations to its residents for this weather alert;

    • Residents residing in flood prone areas are recommended to bring their vehicles to higher grounds. In addition to the upper level of the Hunter Tier Parking Lot on Prospect Ave. The Village recommends moving vehicles to Philips Park Road between Spencer Place and Tompkins Avenue, located east of the Mamaroneck Avenue Shops. 

    • Beginning at 12:00 pm on Tuesday January 9th, multi-space meters on Philips Park Road and on the Hunter Tier Lot will be set to free parking until 6:00 pm on Wednesday, January 10th. 

  • Cameras have been installed at key locations along the Mamaroneck and Sheldrake Rivers to monitor the water levels. Beginning Tuesday, January 9th you can view the live stream of the river’s water levels by clicking here.

  • The Village Personnel will be monitoring the river water levels and they will be dispatching emergency crew if necessary. 

  • Department of Public Works: 914-777-7745 or 914-777-7746

  • Police Department: 914-777-1122 or 911

  • Fire Department: 914-825-8777 or 911

New Rochelle

  • Alternate Side Parking Regulations are suspended in many streets for the period of January 1 through March 31, 2024

  • To report any down trees please call the New Rochelle Police Department at 914-654-2300

  • New Rochelle Fire Department: 914-654-2212

  • New Rochelle Building Department: 914-654-2035

  • New Rochelle Public Works: 914-235-3567


  • In the event of fallen trees or power lines please report them to the Fire Department Emergency Number 914-722-1217