Hurricane Ida Resources

Our district needs federal aid to help recover from this crisis. I led the New York Congressional Delegation in writing a bipartisan and bicameral letter to President Biden to approve Governor Kathy Hochul’s request for an Emergency Declaration in New York. President Biden subsequently approved the Governor’s request, which will allow federal resources to apply to New York and in our district. I also joined Senator Schumer and Senator Gillibrand in a letter to the US Army Corps of Engineers urging that the Army Corps resume work on the Mamaroneck and Sheldrake River Flood Management Project, which is even more urgent given the severe flooding brought on by Ida. These federal actions are essential for both immediate recovery efforts across our district and ensuring we invest in the necessary infrastructure to stem future flooding. I also joined with Rep. Grace Meng in calling on President Joe Biden to support Governor Hochul’s request for a major disaster declaration, which would bring more federal resources for individuals to our district.

On Monday, September 6, 2021,  President Biden approved Governor Hochul’s request for a Major Disaster Declaration, which will allow the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to provide much-needed federal relief to individuals, households, businesses, schools, non-profits, and localities in our district. I am grateful for the hard work of our local and state officials, as well as our New York Congressional Delegation, for working through the long weekend to make this possible. I am especially grateful to the essential workers whose labor ahead of and during Labor Day went above and beyond to begin the recovery process in our communities.

What a major disaster declaration means for our community: If you were impacted by this storm, more federal resources are now available to help. To apply for assistance, you can visit or call 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585 for the hearing and speech impaired). Si necesita ayuda en español, visita You can also download the FEMA app to submit your application for disaster assistance. 

Included in this relief is housing assistance, including repair assistance for personal damages and reimbursements for temporary housing needs for eligible households. In addition, households and individuals can receive child care assistance funds; transportation assistance; and counseling and legal services. Below are additional details about these programs:

Individuals and Households Program (IHP): Provides financial assistance and direct services to eligible individuals and households who have uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses. Before registering, if residents have insurance, they should file a claim with their respective insurance carriers. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments. However, they may be able to help with uninsured or underinsured losses.  

  • Eligibility:   
    • The applicant's insurance, or other forms of disaster assistance received, cannot meet their disaster-caused needs.
    • Applicant must be a US Citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien
    • The applicant’s necessary expenses are directly caused by a declared disaster
  • Financial Housing Assistance Provisions: Includes rental assistance for renting alternate housing accommodations while displaced from disaster-damaged primary residence; lodging expense reimbursement; home repair assistance to help repair an owner-occupied disaster-damaged primary residence, including utilities, residential structure, and driveways; replacement assistance to help homeowners replace primary residence in cases where it has been completely destroyed by disaster. Individuals can upload any documentation of damage directly to the website as part of the application process.
  • Direct Housing Assistance: In cases where there are not available housing resources, FEMA also offers Direct Housing Assistance, which includes: multi-family lease and repair; transportable temporary housing units; and permanent housing construction.

Disaster Unemployment Assistance: Disaster Unemployment Assistance provides financial assistance to individuals whose employment or self-employment has been lost or interrupted as a direct result of a major disaster and who are not eligible for regular unemployment insurance benefits.  

  • Eligibility: Generally available to unemployed workers or self-employed individuals who lived, worked, or was scheduled to work in the disaster area at the time of the disaster; and due to the disaster: 
    • no longer has a job or a place to work; or
    • cannot reach the place of work; or
    • cannot work due to damage to the place of work; or
    • cannot work because of an injury caused by the disaster.

Other types of individual and household assistance offered include:

  • Funeral Assistance: To assist with funeral costs directly or indirectly related to a declared emergency or major disaster.
  • Medical and Dental Assistance: To assist with medical or dental expenses caused by a disaster.
  • Child Care Assistance: One-time payment up to 8 cumulative weeks of child care expenses for a household’s increased financial burden to care for children aged 13 and under and/or children up to age 21 with a disability
  • Disaster Legal Services: Provides free legal help to low-income disaster survivors. If you're not able to get adequate legal services for your disaster-related needs, DLS may be able to help.
  • Disaster Case Management will be offered through the state, in conjunction with local partners. Our office will work to amplify further details as they become available.
  • Crisis Counseling Training and Assistance Program will be offered through the state, in conjunction with local partners. Our office will work to amplify further details as they become available.

The Small Business Administration provides long-term loans to help eligible applicants with transportation losses, moving and storage expenses, as well as repair/replacement funds for real and personal property damage. While victims are able to apply through the SBA, they are encouraged to first apply with FEMA.Only applicants who do not qualify for a loan from the SBA, or who were approved for a partial loan that does not cover the full need, can be eligible. Programs offered include: Personal Property Assistance: to repair/replace essential household items (includes furnishings and appliances); Transportation Assistance: to repair/replace eligible vehicle damaged by a disaster and other transportation-related costs; and Moving/Storage Assistance: To relocate and store personal essential household goods.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) makes federally subsidized loans to repair or replace homes, personal property, or businesses that sustained damages not covered by insurance. The Small Business Administration provides three types of loans to qualified victims. The loans are low interest, long term loans to cover damages resulting from the disaster. Further, SBA loans are gap loans for damage due to the disaster that is uninsured or underinsured. The SBA works with its resource partner network to provide assistance to those affected by the disaster. Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via SBA’s secure Web site at or call (800) 659-2955.

Home Disaster Loans These loans are for homeowners or renters to repair or replace disaster damages to real estate or personal property owned by the victim. Renters are eligible for their personal property losses. Homeowners can borrow up to $200,000 to repair houses. Owners and renters can also borrow up to $40,000 to repair or replace personal property like clothing, furniture, cars or appliances. 


Business Physical Disaster Loans SBA provides loans to businesses or private, nonprofit organizations - large or small – that have suffered physical damage as a result of a disaster. Such loans are to repair or replace disaster damages to property owned by the business, including real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and supplies. The loans can be made for up to $2 million based on credit. 


Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) If a small business or private nonprofit organization suffers substantial economic injury, which is the inability of a business to meet its obligations as they mature and to pay its ordinary and necessary operating expenses, it may be eligible for an economic injury disaster loan (EIDL). These loans are for working capital to small businesses and small agricultural cooperatives to assist them through the disaster recovery period. EIDL assistance is available only to small businesses determined unable to obtain credit elsewhere. The SBA can provide up to $2 million to help meet financial obligations and operating expenses which could have been met had the disaster not occurred. Loan amounts are based on actual economic injury and the business’s financial needs, regardless of whether the business suffered any property damage. 


If you are looking for assistance or have any questions about federal relief, we are here to help. Please email to get in touch with a member of my casework team. 

Public Assistance funds are also available for localities to repair damages to public infrastructure. Over the next few days, we will be communicating the details of these funds to the cities and towns in our district, as well as houses of worship, non-profit organizations, and small businesses. If an organization or entity you belong to needs assistance through the Public Assistance program, please email our team so we can pass along relevant information on this program.

Lastly, as part of the Major Disaster Declaration, FEMA will be setting up virtual, mobile, and on-site emergency resource centers across the impacted region. The agency is working with local officials to identify the best sites for these centers, and our office is working alongside them to ensure our constituents can receive as much support as possible.

Things you and your neighbors can do now:

  • Put your health and safety first. Where the power is out, there is an increased risk to heat-related illnesses. Please stay hydrated and check on family, friends, and neighbors. To learn more about the signs of heat illness, go here. 

  • Avoid downed power or utility lines as these can be extremely dangerous. If you see a downed power or utility line, please report it immediately to your power company. 

  • If you have insurance, start documenting your damage and reporting your loss immediately to your agent. 

  • If you have flood insurance, report your loss immediately to your insurance agent or carrier and be sure to ask them about advance payments. If you need help finding your insurance agent or carrier, call the National Flood Insurance Program at 877-336-2627

  • If you are able to safely return to your home, before you discard anything, take as many photos and videos as possible of your flood damaged home and personal property, including flood water lines on the outside of the structure. For appliances and electronics, take a photograph of the make, model, and serial number. For more information from FEMA, go here

  • Be careful when cleaning up and wear protective clothing. Do not try to remove heavy debris. 

For more assistance and resources in the State of New York please visit the Disaster and Flood Resource Center by clicking here or calling (800) 339-1759. 

Disaster Recovery centers are already open in New York – these centers are open for a limited time. They are the best place to meet representatives from FEMA, U.S. Small Business Administration, local emergency management, New York’s Homeland Security Division, and other agencies to explain disaster assistance programs and answer questions. These centers are open 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. daily. 

Bronx: Hostos Community College DRC 450 Grand Concourse, E. Academic Building C

Westchester: Yonkers Library 1500 Central Park Ave. Yonkers

For assistance based on where you reside, please read below. 

Bronx County

  • To report storm damage in your neighborhood - or file a claim for property damage due to a fallen tree or branch, call 311 or click here  

  • To report a power outage in your area, call 800-75-CONED

  • If you experienced flooding or water damage, you may be eligible to file a claim with the Comptroller's office. File in person (at 1 Centre Street, Room 1225, in Manhattan) or mail this form within 90 days for your claim to be considered: 

  • The MTA is running on a limited schedule. To view up-to-date subway and bus schedules, visit


  • The Department of Public Works will continue to make every effort to collect garbage today Friday, September 3rd.  Items can be placed curbside (unless coordinated elsewhere by contacting the Building/Public Works Department – 337-7338) – there is no need to schedule a pick-up.

  • Flooded basements:  If you are in need of a pump-out please contact the Eastchester Fire Department at 793-6403. 


  • The Sanitation Department is doing a special bulk item collection  Saturday, September 4th. Residents who have damaged furniture, carpeting or other miscellaneous items can place the debris on their curb before 7:00 am on Saturday morning for collection. 

  • For more info click here 


  • Hastings Police ask that everyone stay away from the Reynolds Field area due to unsafe conditions

  • You can find emergency preparedness information here

  • For more information on school delays, local transportation, and important contact information, click here  


  •  To request a pump to clear out flood waters near or in your home email with your name, address, and contact number or call the Village Manager’s Office at (914) 777-7703. Please make sure to leave your name, address, and contact number.

  • If you need a flood kit provided by the Red Cross please contact the Village Manager’s Office at (914) 777-7703.

  • If your car was abandoned on the streets and towed, call Vincent’s Garage at (914) 698-5252. Vincent’s is located at 636 Fenimore Road. 

  • The Department of Public Works will make every effort to pick up garbage today Friday, September 3rd, please leave it on the curb. Please note that there will be no garbage collection on Monday, September 6 for Labor Day. 

  • The shelter at Mamaroneck High School remains open. Red Cross volunteers are on site to aid residents.

  • For more info click here. 

New Rochelle

  • About 1,000 New Rochelle households do not have power.  Con Edison is assessing damage and assigning crews to repairs.  To report a power outage, please contact Con Ed at 1-800-75-CONED or

  • For more information, click here


  • If you need water pumped from your property please email 

  • If you need to dispose of household debris damaged by flooding, please bring it to the curb. Pelham is  coordinating with Oakridge  regarding additional bulk pickups in the coming days. 

  • To receive emergency notifications, subscribe to Nixle alerts (via text message and email) here

  • For ongoing updates and information from the Village of Pelham, subscribe to Village email alerts here


  •  Information on the location of abandoned cars is available from the police. Call 914-967-1234 for more information.

  • There will be regular Friday garbage pickup, along with water-damaged items along the Friday route, but no recycling pickup.  There will be City-wide pickup of water-damaged goods on Saturday.  A garbage truck will be parked at the recycling center tomorrow as a receptacle for any garbage that was missed today.

  • For info on service restoration call Con Ed at 1-800-752-6633 or visit them online at 


  • More  information on local assistance can be found here. The Village of Scarsdale Twitter Account is also continuing to provide live updates for residents. 


  • Residents with questions or concerns about flood mitigation should contact the Mayor’s Help Line at (914) 377-HELP (4357).

  • For help applying for financial assistance visit the Yonkers Library located at 1 Larkin Center, Yonkers, NY 10701