Congressman Jamaal Bowman, Ed.D.
Congressman Jamaal Bowman, Ed.D., represents New York’s 16th District, which includes the Northern Bronx and parts of Westchester County, including Yonkers, New Rochelle, and Mount Vernon. Rep. Bowman was born and raised in New York City, spending his early years in public housing and rent-controlled apartments. He was raised by his mother, who supported them with her post office worker’s salary. After graduating from the University of New Haven, Rep. Bowman began his career as a crisis intervention teacher in a Bronx public school and went on to earn a master’s degree in guidance counseling from Mercy College and a doctorate in education from Manhattanville College. In 2009, he went on to found Cornerstone Academy for Social Action (CASA), a Bronx middle school focused on unlocking the natural brilliance of all children through a holistic curriculum, where he served as principal for a decade. Bowman lives in Yonkers, New York, with his wife and three beautiful children.
First Term Accomplishments
• Brought over $200 million in aid to NY-16, including over $20 million going directly to local groups, nonprofits and governments committed to helping our seniors, improving infrastructure, and providing better access to healthcare services and enrichment activities for our youth
• Introduced nine bills to invest in our schools, tell the truth, make the rich pay their fair share, end corporate greed, and assist regular people in America. Most notably, Bowman's bill Green New Deal for Public Schools would invest $10 trillion over 10 years into our public schools.
• Been on the frontlines to protect our communities against COVID-19 by opening vaccine centers and distributing PPE and testing kits
• Stood alongside communities devastated by climate change and Hurricane Ida by delivering relief to families, individuals, and small business owners
• Fought for regular, working people by advocating for universal child care, disability rights, affordable prescription drugs, affordable housing, and more
• Delivered resources to our communities to improve and expand mental health resources and prevent violence
• Advocated for homeowners
• Been arrested for fighting for voting rights
• Joined millions around the world in support of human rights
• & More.